2017/08/03

Response to the Korean reading/ This burns my heart/ Vasilev Iulian/ ISS2017

When I read this story my heart was as the title suggested. I had mixed feelings. From the beginning to the end of the story, I had different emotions: anger, sadness, pity, happiness, and finally joy and relief at the end. I felt anger because Min was a coward. On the other hand I felt pity for him because he was so weak, and sad because he too had to live a life distant with love because he knew Soo-Ja never loved him. At times I thought Hanna was ungrateful, she never understood the sacrifices Soo-Ja made for her; she could have easily walked away from a broken marriage and a hard life to be with Yul but, the love of her child superseded all of that. Then I remembered Hanna was just a child and at the end she finally did grow up. My heart broke for Soo-Ja, what a life she had to live for so many reasons.

At the end of the story I was so happy because everyone could live as they wanted. Min could live in America taking care of his parents. Soo-Ja finally got what she longed for, a future with Yul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment