2017/08/09

Third first draft/ Vasiliev Iulian/ ISS2017

Our life is a test. We must be able to pass it and learn invaluable experience from it.

When I was 15 years old, there was a tragic event in my life. My grandfather died. Nothing had ever hurt me so much. I still grieve for him. He was very kind, wise, and taught me a lot. His name was Semyon Semyonovich. He died of complications from having a weak heart at the age of 79. He was a very kind and generous soul. When I was little, we often played together. He took me to different attractions and sports grounds, he even sat with me in the sandbox and we built sand castles. He taught me how to read and write when I was five years old because I could not do them well. He taught me how to repair a bicycle, teaching me about all the spare parts, what they were for, and how to choose the right keys for them. In addition to repair skills, grandfather told me how to properly behave among people. He constantly gave me interesting assignments and looked at how I performed them, after which he praised me for their successful implementation.

He often came to our house with a package of delicious apples and sweets. When my grandfather left, we usually went to the window to say goodbye to him, because we knew that grandfather would turn around and dance a short dance or do something funny.

Grandfather was very neat and tidy. At home he always had order and cleanliness. All things were ironed and breezed with the scent of "Red Moscow" cologne. I do not have any memories of my grandfather smoking or drinking. On the contrary he instilled in us a healthy lifestyle and love for physical education. I remember that every day, for as long as I can remember, my grandfather exercised in the morning.

Victory Day was the most important holiday for him, more important than the New Year and his birthday. Grandfather began preparing for the holiday in advance: carefully ironing his suit, picking up his medals, and studying the program of celebrations. Victory Day was a part of him! He enjoyed the victory parade, soldier's porridge, meetings and memories of the war years. With him, I really felt the spirit of these times.

Unfortunately he is no longer in my life. When I was doing my homework one day when the telephone suddenly rang. My mother answered the call and she was told that my grandfather was put in the hospital, so my parents went to hospital. I thought that it was not so serious and that he would certainly recover. I planned to visit him three days after I found out about her arrival at the hospital. It was on that ill-fated day, when I was about to visit my beloved grandfather, that they called me and told me the news: my grandfather was no more. After this news I felt that the whole world was destroyed and I cried all day. It was only after that I realized how stupid and small I was. If I valued every minute and did not postpone everything for later, then I would have had time to kiss him goodbye. How terrible and sad it is to realize that a person changes only when something horribly happens. I did not relize that it could be too late if I treated everything carelessly.

Perhaps many people, when they have lost a loved one, understood that they did not do enough for the one they lost. Why did this moment change me? Before that, I often postponed meetings because I was always busy doing something. After that sad moment, I became a completely different person. I realized that we need to do everything at once, because you may not have time. Now I live by this principle: "Do things now, because there may not be a chance to do it later!" If I had had the chance I would have been with him until the very end, until the last touch of his hand on mine, until his last smile, look, and until his very last breath. And if it were only possible to turn back time, I would hold my grandfather's hand to the very end. I will never forgive myself for my attitude and negligence. The only good thing is that I have become completely different. It was an expensive price to pay to understand and realize this, to grow up and not do stupid things again, and to be what I am now.

After this tragic accident I always try to find more time to spend time with people close to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment