2017/08/02

response to the korean readings /Katharina Kosmalla / ISS2017

Reading ''Native Speaker'' by Lee Chang-Rea was really difficult for me. I had to start over and over again, reading parts two or more times before I could imagine what was going on in the story. I could not connect to the story. Starting with Henry, telling us about how he met his wife and how she gave him the list of who he was. I could understand those parts. After those first pages it just got confusing. Henry told us about his work, but it took me way too many pages to figure out what he and his colleges were actually doing. Some kind of spy work I figured. At least that is what Henry was saying he is doing. All in all, the plot got more confusing the more I got to read. All those new characters coming in, with Henry telling us about who they are, what they do, what relationships they have towards each other. I won't say I didn't like the story at all. There were some interesting parts. For example, I could feel Henrys feelings towards living in their loft. How they lived there at the beginning, thinking it will be great to have so much space but at the end it turned out the big room was what made it uncomfortable to live there. He calls their loft a ''[…]surprisingly dysfunctional space'' and that ''You felt you were living in the wrong scale.'' I always thought it would feel great to live in a loft with its high sealing, open rooms and a lot of space. Now I'm thinking it might not be so great after all. That second thing I keep wondering if Henry and Nelia will get back together. In the end Hoagland tells Henry that ''Your wife will leave you and come back and leave you for the rest of your natural life.'', so I keep wondering how the story is going to end for both of them.

With ''This Burns My Heart'' by Samuel Park it felt very different from the beginning. The plot is easy to follow and I am wondering how the story will go on. Will Soo-Ja get her daughter back, can she stand up against her husband and her father-in-law? The relationship between Soo-Ja and her husbands' family seems to be difficult. At first, I felt a lot of sympathy with Soo-Ja. It seemed like she was deceived by her husband who took her money and daughter to the states. It was so hard for her to talk to her father-in-law with his ''[…]hard voice, unsmiling and emotionless.'', and being forbidden to talk to her daughter. After reading on, now I am really wondering if her husband had some good reasons to take of to America. It seems to me, that Soo-Ja had some things going on with a different guy for quite some time, even if it wasn't in a romantic way yet. Her husband must have known. Maybe, the two weeks she was away from her family, she was with that other guy and that was the reason why her husband thought of two weeks as a way-to-long time. Hopefully, I will know at the end of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment