2017/07/18

Barriers/ Rhee So Hyun/ ISS2017

"In everyday conversation, it is also very annoying to pay so much attention to things that should be automatic and to give as much thought to almost every word I and the other person are using."

This paragraph stood out to me the most from this reading. Being in Korea with Korean as my second language, I was able to empathize with Niella to a large extent. After moving to Korea, I also found it very annoying to pay so much attention to things that should be automatic. Not only was conversing with people difficult, simple, everyday actions proved to be tough as well. Ordering food always proved to be an obstacle and reading labels and street signs were tough as well. Since language is such a prominent part of everyday life, everyday life became tedious and annoying for me. However, much like Niella, time and experience truly does wonders as now I do not find everyday life as tedious and am able to enjoy life in Korea.

2 comments:

  1. I can feel you because I always pay so much attention whenever I speak in English as my second language. I hope that I could have a good command of English someday and truly enjoy speaking in my second language like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this well-written and thoughtful blog post \(^.^)/ - Vasilev Iulian.

    ReplyDelete