2017/07/25

First draft/Yujong Cho/ISS2017

                                                        < Sharing feelings with students >

 

I like to be with teenagers. When I am with them, I feel younger so I love it.

I've been teaching English for one year at middle school every Saturday.

It was for students from low-income families.

 

When I started class at first, I was quite confident of it since I had tutored English before. 

Of course, to teach someone I need to know all ideas of the lecture and consider how much they would understand me. 

Considering students' level of English and their attitude for class too.

 

However, they were totally different from the students that I tutored before.

They barely knew English and even didn't pay attention to class.

They were 15 year old but they haven't even learned even very easy grammar yet, for example how to use auxiliary verb or passive form.

They seemed only a few of them understood the class. I felt frustrated at first but didn't give up them.

 

I changed teaching style.

Before, I just focused on how to let them understand the class well.

With boring textbook and one sided class, it should have been boring for them.

 

I started trying to make class more interesting.

I used english movie, drama and put some game time at the end of the class.

I showed them movie "Truman show", they really liked it and it was useful material for the class. 

It seems like it was not that much difficult for the students.

English game 'hangman' worked a lot too. I had a big joy with them and could wrap up the class well by it.

 

I tried to know teenager's fun and share with them such as popular boygroups.

After every class, I listened to the feedbacks.

I accepted it and made up the class. I tried really hard to communicate with them.

 

Afterward, it was like they look like they feel more comfortable in the class than before and me as well.

I'm still trying to be more comfortable for them and make class more fun.

I would like to be a English teacher after I graduate and I have learned a lot from with the students. 

I can definitely say that It would really help much to be better teacher in the future. .

 

1 comment:

  1. Dear, Yujong Cho
    When I read you draft I sympathized you, I also have a teaching experience and I fully understand you. I think it is one of the most important part to make a reader to sympathize and you successed in it. Your draft full of examples of your challenges you faced with and different methods of teching, which I hope to use one day.

    ReplyDelete