2017/07/19

Yujong Cho/Barriers/ISS2017

"If you are a foreign student yourself, do not feel depressed. I believe that in the long run there will be a reward, a better understanding of ourselves and the vital phenomenon of communication."


When I read it, I remembered the time that I stayed in Canada last year to learn English speaking. I worked at the cafe and restaurant in daytime for 6 months, and after I got off work I studied hard. However, as you know learning second language, especially speaking part is not easy.


At the beginning of my life in Canada, I barely spoke English so I felt depressed much. When I was a newbie at work, coworkers talked fast so I couldn't catch them and it was hard to speak out too. When I didn't understand them and asked again, they somtimes said just "nothing". I know asking again and again is annoying one so I didn't blame them. But their saying 'nothing' made me feel that I'm a 'nothing'. After that time, I tried harder to speak it well. I tried to pick up every expression that I've never heard from all of people I met and took a note of them. I copied and copied them. Now, I'm still not good at English but I can definitely say I had tried hard and it got better than before.


Likewise Niella, as a second language learner, I still get small when I talk in English but I will keep take a step forward and I will get better in every aspect of English.    

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you brought your own story of learning English and struggeling at the Cafe into your post. I can realte to your feelings when you heard your coworkers say nothing, as I heard that word so many times before. Not from my coworkers but ''friends''. It always made me feel so allone and ashamed hearing it from them when I asked what they talked about. Luckily I got away from them and I hope you don't have to hear that word again. -Kat

    ReplyDelete