2017/07/17

My Experience Moving to Korea/ Rhee So Hyun/ ISS2017

My Experience on Moving to Korea

My name is Rhee So Hyun and I am twenty two. I was born and raised in Singapore and lived with my mother, father, and older brother. When I was twenty, I decided to move to Korea for University.

Moving to Korea was the biggest change in my life and it was definitely difficult and demanding. Though I am Korean, I have never taken official Korean lessons and only learnt basic Korean speaking skills through conversing with my parents. Therefore, there was a language barrier present between my friends and me which was challenging. Moving to Korea was also tough because I became responsible for my own allowance. Back in Singapore, I rarely had money worries as I was living with my parents. Whereas in Korea, I had to pay the bills, buy food and necessities, which proved to be stressful and demanding.

However, having lived in Korea for about three years now, I have overcome these initial challenges and this move proved to be one of the best experiences of my life. Conversing in Korean on a daily basis drastically improved my Korean which in turn also improved my relationship with my parents as we are now better able to understand each other. I have also become better at managing money which I believe is an essential set of skill. Most of all, I have made a circle of great friends who made my experience in Korea a wonderful and exciting one.

All in all, moving to another country on your own is definitely frightening and stressful, however, it does get better with time and it will become a valuable and rewarding experience. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment